Network Timetable Exchange
NeTEx is a CEN Technical Standard for exchanging Public Transport Network, schedules and related data. It is divided into three parts, each covering a functional subset of the CEN Transmodel:
- Part 1 describes the Public Transport Network topology (CEN/TS 16614-1:2014);
- Part 2 describes Scheduled Timetables (CEN/TS 16614-2:2014);
- Part 3 covers Fare information (CEN/TS 16614-3:2015).
NeTEx provides a means to exchange data for passenger information such as stops, routes timetables and fares, among different computer systems, together with related operational data. It can be used to collect and integrate date from many different stakeholders, and to reintegrate it as it evolves through succesive versions.
All three parts covered by NeTEx use the same framework of reusable components, versioning mechanisms, validity conditions, global identification mechanisms, etc., defined in a NeTEx framework in Part1. NeTEx also includes, container elements called “version frames” to group data into coherent sets for efficient exchange.
NeTEx schema can thus be used to exchange:
- Public Transport schedules including stops, routes, departures times / frequencies, operational notes, and map coordinates.
- Routes with complex topologies such as circular routes, cloverleaf and lollipops, and complex workings such as short working and express patterns. Connections with other services can also be described
- The days on which the services run, including availability on public holidays and other exceptions.
- Composite journeys such as train journeys that merge or split trains
- Information about the Operators providing the service.
- Additional operational information, including, positioning runs, garages, layovers, duty crews, useful for AVL and on-board ticketing systems.
- Data about the Accessibility of services to passengers with restricted mobility.
- Data is versioned with management metadata allowing updates across distributed systems
- Fare structures, (flat fares, point to point fares, zonal fares)
- Fare products (Single tickets, return tickets, day, and season passses etc)
- Fare prices that apply at specific dates
Transmodel has been a fundamental input, more information can be found at www.netex-cen.eu.